Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Cleaner Chimney

Here's an interesting article about someone who has developed a liquid chimney. According to the article, "the chimney captures wasted heat, which boosts the efficiency of the system and saves on fuel costs." It also apparently captures greenhouse gases "escaping from coal and natural-gas furnaces and turns it into a harmless material that could be used in construction or even dropped into the ocean to rebuild coral reefs."

There are questions of its commercial viability, but if it can be proven to work, it can be very successful.

2 Comments:

At 10:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the post. I posted this on my site as well earlier in the week (www.sociallyresponsiblebusinessforum.com).

While I enjoy reading stories about renewable energy, I can't help but get flashbacks to the 70's
(no, not the disco kind!)

During the energy crises of the 70's, stories in the popular media about alternative energy were plentiful. When the price of oil dropped, so too did the conversation about alternative energy. I see the same thing happening today.

I think we need leadership at the highest level to set the goals and energy agenda in a serious manner, or else clean energy and alternative energy will be floundering for years to come.

 
At 15:01, Blogger Gary said...

Thanks for the comments, John. I wasn't around (or at least aware) during the 70's, so it's discouraging, though not surprising, to hear that a similar pattern occured then.

Leadership is the key word. Vision is another. I'm not optimistic at this point, but I'm holding out hope!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home