Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Biodiesel

The New York Times printed this article about biodiesel and Willie Nelson's involvement in its production through his BioWillie brand (see BioWillie's site for facts about biodiesel including how to make it). It also mentions that having Willie Nelson support the industry has helped it tremendously.

I need to look into biodiesel further. The article has a quote from Willie Nelson's wife that says, "It didn't take him but a minute to figure out how much sense it made for family farmers. And if you support farmers, you support the nation." If that is true and if biodiesel can be made on large scale, it seems that we'd be better off if biodiesel was the alternative fuel of choice over ethanol. I realize I am simplifying the issue greatly - that is one more reason I need to look further into it. But my thought is that if family farms truly will be helped and if it's cleaner to produce than ethanol and it can be produced in mass quantities, then I'd need to find reasons against biodiesel to understand why ethanol is a better choice. When I think of ethanol, I only think of the corn lobby helping themselves (corporate farms not family farms).

1 Comments:

At 21:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if you're aware of this story - when Willie Nelson performed in Raleigh, he needed to refill his tour bus which runs on biodiesel. He went to Piedmont Biofuels, in Pittsboro. Yeah NC for having a locally run biodiesel place for him to go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home