Sunday, March 11, 2007

Rechargable Batteries for Cars

It's funny to me. When I first purchased my Honda Civic Hybrid in June 2002 (I can't believe it's almost been five years already), hybrids were still a very new concept. The majority of people who found out that I bought a hybrid asked me about plugging it in for power. Of course, the hybrid I have and the other hybrids on the road (all, I believe), do not require any plugging in for power. The New York Times has written about a new technology, a rechargable lithium battery developed by A123Systems, that will require recharging of the battery. This extra step will allow for more even better fuel economy from hybrid vehicles and, in the case of the Chevrolet Volt if it ever goes to market, it would allow for the next generation of a true all-electric car (it does, however, have an internal combustion engine that essentially acts as a backup in case the battery runs out of power).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home